The true cost of veterinary care can sometimes be a surprise to many people. Pets, just like their owners, can develop illnesses that need lifelong treatment, such as diabetes or skin conditions; sometimes these can be from a very young age.
Not all pet insurance is the same and so it is important to ensure you choose the right policy for you and your pet.
Five key questions to ask insurers:
1. Will this policy cover ongoing conditions for the rest of my pet’s life?
2. Does this policy cover congenital and hereditary illness?
3. Does this policy cover dental treatment and behavioural problems?
4. Will you place exclusions at renewal on this policy?
5. Will you increase my premium or excess if I claim?
At Hillside Vets we work closely with and recommend Petplan Insurance for dogs, cats and rabbits. Petplan are the UK’s no 1 pet insurance provider and their Covered for life policies provide ongoing cover for the whole of your pet’s life (providing you renew your policy each year with no break in cover). Not all pet insurance is the same which is why you need to choose your policy carefully.
We recommend Petplan’s Covered For Life® insurance for the following reasons:
- Petplan’s Covered For Life® policies guarantee your veterinary fees. Cover is renewed each year no matter how often you claim (providing you renew your policy each year with no break in cover).
- Petplan doesn’t place exclusions at renewal on their Covered For Life® policies so on-going conditions such as eczema continue to be covered year after year.
- Petplan won’t increase your premium or excess just because you make a claim.
- Petplan is a pet insurance specialist so they understand pets and work closely with vets,
charities and breeders.
Petplan state the following:'You may be surprised to hear that you are more likely to claim on your pet insurance than your car or household policies (Allianz Insurance plc). In fact, in our experience if you don’t need to claim on your pet insurance you really are very lucky indeed!
It’s important to be aware that not all pet insurance is the same. Some policies limit the amount of time or money that you can claim for so don’t just shop around on price alone.’
Be safe in the knowledge that your pets are insured - if and when those un-planned for illnesses or accidents occur you can ensure your pet receives the best veterinary care possible without having to worry about the cost implications
Make sure you insure your pet today.
You can find out more about the different types of pet insurance available with Petplan here…